Monday, December 25, 2017

A Year In Review - My Favourite Designers | Jean Paul Gaultier

Couture Fall 17




Jean Paul Gaultier is my number one favourite designer. I love both his Couture and Ready-To-Wear. This year his collections have been amazing, both Fall and Spring. In the Fall collection I love his use of asymmetry as you can see in the second look and the over the top boxy shoulders teamed with the cinched in waists and huge knits and coats. Sampled above is just a few looks that are my favourites from this collection although there are heaps more. If you go through the whole collection you will see a lot of geometry, particularly triangles and some colour blocking. Along with neutral colours there are a lot of earthy tones with the occasional pop of blue and purple. What I love most about this collection, and many other collections by him, is how exaggerated everything is, which is definitely one of my favourite aesthetics of Gaultier. I find huge inspiration in his collections.

Couture Spring 17



In this collection there is a huge variety of colours. This collection features a variety of textures and shapes with a varied mix of flowy dresses and pants and power suits made from unusual materials such as lace. He keeps true to himself with the dramatic shoulders on jackets and tops. Layering plays a big part of this collection with dresses over tees and corsets over tank tops. I am particularly drawn to the wide legged pants shown in look number three and various other looks throughout the collection and the different textiles used to create the garments including a leather dress with cutouts to let the skin poke through and create a geometric print. Just like the Fall collection, cinched in waists feature a lot with suits being pulled in with a matching belt. I enjoy not only the striking colour blocking seen in some of the looks but also the looks featuring just one colour for all aspects. I wish I could share all of my favourite looks from this collection but there are far too many, it’s just all so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment